Evangelism is defined as “The Spreading of Christianity”
Support our mission statement of “Learning and Doing the Work of Jesus”. St. Gabriel's does the work of Jesus most effectively when it changes lives of God's people in ways that bring healing, restoration and encouragement.
We actively support and participate in the activities and social ministry of Hopewell Love in the Name of Christ (Love INC) and the Southeast Berks Ministerium, as well as supporting various other organizations and projects through the year.
Hopewell Love in the Name of Christ (Love, INC)
St. Gabriel's supports the mission of Love INC in the following ways:
CONTACT: Russ McClellan
- Office space and use of office equipment (copier, etc.)
- The Vestry includes Love INC in the budget as well as offering other financial assistance when possible
- Parishioners donate individually
- Youth Group has participated each year in fundraising and awareness efforts through Shackathon
- Parishioners participated in the Friendly's Love INC nights where a portion of the proceed come to us
- Individual Sunday School classes have donated dollars and items (stuffed animals, personal care kits,etc.) for us to distribute to the needy
- Parishioners volunteer at the Food Pantry in Birdsboro and pick up food at the Food Bank in Reading
- St. Gabriel's provides a meal at the Community Table in Birdsboro on a rotating basis
- Extra clothing from the Clothing Sales is offered to us to donate to those in need
"Health Now, Care Now, Do Now"
The Wellness Ministry addresses the needs of mind, body, and spirit in our parishioners. As a Christian community we are called to exercise Stewardship of our bodies by promoting wellness for the whole of ourselves.
1. Assess the Health Care needs of the congregation
2. Promote Wellness and a Healthy Lifestyle
3. Provide Education/ Counseling/ Community Resources
Our mission is to promote health and wellness to our parishioners and community by providing education and having resources available to fill individual needs.
We do Blood Drives twice a year (March and September), and blood pressure screenings are offered monthly.
Contact: Jo Rivera
AA and Al-Anon Meetings
Meets the 3rd Tuesday of each month at 6:30 PM in one of the Youth Classrooms. We began our prayer shawl ministry in 2009. We meet once a month at the church to pray, knit, and talk. Knitters and crocheters are welcome. Lydia will teach you how to knit if you'd like to learn. Prayer shawls are given, never sold, to those in need such as during the grieving process or during an illness, or to those celebrating a wedding or baptism. We accept donations of yarn or money to buy yarn.
CONTACT: Lydia Rieger
Just for Sew
Meets the second Monday of most months from 6 - 8 PM in the church library. The group works on various charitable projects through the year.
CONTACT: Jeri Klein
Frozen Homeade Soup is delivered to St. Paul's Church the 3rd Tuesday of Every Month
Volunteers make their soup at home, then bring it to St. Gabriel's
We provide the containers and the soup is stored in the freezer at church. We ask that a bag of 5 containers is marked with first or last name of volunteer.
CONTACT: Carol Young
Each year in the Fall you will find a wooden tree with hooks in the church. The tree gets decorated with hats, mittens, and scarves to be donated to local charities.
Salvation Army Tags
St. Gabriel's, under the coordination of The Good Shepherd Learning Center, participates in the Salvation Army Christmas Angel Tag program each year. Gifts are presented at the altar during the 10:30 service in early December, where they are blessed then delivered to the Salvation Army for distribution.